Sounds crazy, right?
You might be surprised to find that there are a lot of great reasons for kids to do weapon training as is done in Kali and Filipino Martial Arts.
The idea of Kensho’s adult and kids mixed martial arts system is for students to become complete martial artists capable of defending themselves in a variety of situations from kicking and punching range to closer range where we might use knees, elbows Judo throws or Jiu Jitsu grappling techniques.
When weapons are involved, the whole game changes and it’s important to have a good understanding of that. Kali and Filipino Martial Arts specialize in weapon training have been an important part of our training for years. Many current movies use Filipino martial Arts in their fight choreography (The Bourne Identity, etc.)
Our Kids program starts with Level 1 learning basic Karate and Tae Kwon Do kicks along with basic self defense and footwork & punches from boxing.
At Level 2 (after about 6 months) Kensho Kids are introduced to working with rattan Kali sticks. As they move up to Level 3 and Level 4, we progressively raise the bar.
Here are just a few of the reasons we learn Kali Weapon technique:
- Kids love it and helps keep them engaged in their training.
- Learn respect and cooperation with their partners.
- Builds focus and concentration.
- Helps them to learn coordination and body mechanics.
- They learn to naturally respond to their partner’s movements.
- Helps them learn pattern recognition.
- They learn footwork and balance.
- Helps them to learn rhythm and timing.
- They learn a realistic respect for weapons (and that their best option in a weapon attack is to RUN!)
Learn More about Kensho’s Kids Martial Arts Program and come try it for your child!