The New Year is not the only time we can make improvements. Personal growth is an ongoing, lifelong process. Here are 5 ways to kickstart your motivation and keep it going all year long!
- Show up! Plan an exercise routine and stick to it. Do something you find fun and interesting to keep you coming back. Running a treadmill leaves much to be desired. Try combining physical activity to learning a new skill. Martial arts and kickboxing are great for this reason! You’re sweating, working and learning valuable skills in the process.
- Get social! Find a friend to workout with. Having someone hold you accountable can be extremely helpful. Find a place where the community is conducive to motivating you to keep going and achieve your goals. Joining a challenge such as with MYZone program can be super motivating. You can see what your friends are doing as they work toward their goals and challenge yourself to keep up or win fitness competitions.
- “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Food and nutrition are very important in our everyday lives. In Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food, he outlines a no nonsense approach to eating. With our busy eat-on-the-go lifestyles, we often grab for whatever is fast and easy. And with so many fad diets marketed to us on a daily basis, it can feel like a daunting task to take control of our nutritional health. Putting the proper fuel in our bodies, can help us feel strong, happy and energized! Check out Michael Pollan’s work here: http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/
- Educate yourself! Read books, magazines and articles that promote a natural and active lifestyle. Watch documentaries about health and our food industries. Keep it in the forefront of your mind by always learning more. When I first began to make changes to my diet, it was a challenge to break some habits, but by constantly educating myself, I no longer wanted to eat certain foods. When I became aware of the truth, those unhealthy foods just no longer appealed to me. A good place to start is One Green Planet’s list of “10 Documentaries that Will Make You Rethink Everything You Know About Food and Health”. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/10-best-food-and-health-documentaries/
- After you begin feeding your body the right fuel it needs for energy, up your game! To keep yourself going, and avoid the “plateau”, try adding to your routine to keep it fresh. If you start out committing to 2 days per week and you’re feeling good, start going more often. Find time for stretching everyday. Choose a time and make it routine.
Remember, it’s great to have a plan in place to keep yourself accountable and motivated, but don’t be too hard on yourself when you slip up either. Just start from where you are with what you have today. Even small changes one step at a time can improve your life tremendously. Keep it up and you’ll feel great!